The history of the Castle of Bruch and how it found us
The Bruch Castle was originally the domain of the Lords of Bruch. The earliest documentary mention of the House of Bruch dates from the year 1138, with Fridelo of Bruch. Construction of the castle as it can be seen today started in the first half of the 13th century, and is likely to have been completed in the year 1243. In this year Theoderich of Bruch was named as the lord of the castle ("dominus castri de Bruche"). In the following centuries, the lords of the castle were under alternating rule by either the Prince-Elector of Trier or the Dukes of Luxembourg. Ownership of the castle passed between a number of different families belonging to the service nobility.
The roughly rectangular site of approximately 100 x 50 meters was originally surrounded by earthen ramparts and a moat. A second moat divided the castle into the higher central fortress (the keep), with a palace, watch tower and fortified gates, and the larger outer fortress (the close), with the outbuildings (stables, barns, blacksmith, etc.). Particularly noteworthy are the two high, relatively slender, round towers, which were added around 1340, to increase the defensive capabilities of the castle, which then lay on the border to the Duchy of Luxembourg. The tithe warehouse, with its impressive length (about 43 meters), was built around 1650 on the site of an earlier building. Above the ground floor of the present building are several sandstone barrel vaults. The larger manor house, located in the south west corner of the fortress, was constructed in 1738 by Count Kesselstatt, It incorporates the old chapel, wich was built about 1300. Opposite the main house is a coach-house, which dates from the second half of the 19th century.
While actually looking to buy a small farm in 1995, we happened to fall in love with the old, abandoned castle walls. At this time the castle had been unoccupied for several years and various attempts by its owner to sell the place had failed. And despite the love at first sight initially we also hesitated and might never have made a move, if it hadn’t been for the call by the real estate agent, telling us that if we should not act, the castle would go to another bidder. From then on our live has been dedicated to preserving this place and it took us six years to put an end to the decay. Today all houses are beautifully refurbished, the roofs shimmer with fresh tiling and the gardens are once again inviting. We have been living in the manor since the year 2000 and open the castle to visitors and tenants.